Friday, February 29, 2008

In the begginig: school days

First time I get interesed in computer programming was in the 80s after been exposed to films like Tron and some teen hackers dramas. However in Mexico it was hard and expensive to get a computer and tech literature. Someone in high school made us a promise about to have a computer lab, but that promise vanished with time.

It was before I entered to college that I had the opportunity to take a programming course using Pascal. It was great, but the problem of not having a computer and the software to practice tended to end the dream.

But when I started in college, one of the requisites was to have a compuer in home, so I sold my electric guitar to help my mothey to buy the computer. It was a i286 with 1 MB RAM and 20Mb of HDD. And it supported me for 5 years. It was a real advantage to have it at home to prectice; those were long productive nights of trials and errors, but is the only way to learn. We started using Turbo Pascal 5.5, a great tools considering it fits in a 720 kb floppy disk, and the IDE, help and examples were all there.

Some other languages appeared in scene: C, x86 assembly. A paradigm shift was the introduction of C++ and my first contact with Smalltalk. My computer started to have some difficulties to load this enviroments. Then came Prolog and Lisp. And by 1993 the Windows 3.1 started to spread and some interesting DB and A&D tools appeared.

Lots of code lines were written in those days. What happened to that code?

No comments: